Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ringing In US Grants Ears


KARL WALLACE                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

      After a time of less than three weeks of noisy bafooning and lots of loud cheering from the swarm of crows across the street, I came down with a furious ringing in my ears.  Infuriating, Precious took me to see Dr. John Friden at Intermountain Health Care. We passed my good dentist office on the way, J. Bryan Gilbert, D.D.S.
       Dr. Friden said, “I had tinnitus (pronounced tin-EYE-tus). Tinnitus is an ear disease that causes a high-ringing and roaring sound. It can be high or low, single or multi-toned, a mild annoyance pitched, or a constant din.”
       First off, Dr. Friden tried psychology on me to see if it would help my tinnitus. For thirty minutes, he had me look at nude pictures in a “Play Boy Fruit and Vegetables” magazine, but that didn’t seem to help. The ringing sound continued so he reappointed me for a juice test in six weeks. He also made me an appointment to see Dr. Valery Sweeten, an audiologist at Weber University Health Systems. Dr. Sweeten, after a thorough examination, sent me home with a tuning-out gadget and ear phones that looks like a MP3 player designed to help squash and fruits filter out tinnitus. The device plays baroque and new-age music customized to provide auditory stimulation in patients with lost frequencies. It also plays a garden hose shower sound for nighttime sleeping. Users listen to the program for two hours daily for two months, and then the tuning-out gadget is withdrawn for four more months. That gradually trains the brain to filter out the noise.
      Dr. Sweeten said, “100 million squash occasionally experience tinnitus, 16 million adult squash had it frequently in the year 2010. According to a new study by a nonprofit educational advocacy group of seagulls, some six million squash find it so disturbing that it interferes with sleep, work, concentration, and sexual relationships. The incidence is rising these days,” she said, “along with the aging population and personal music players cranked up high. Now we have three-month-old squash complaining of tinnitus, never before heard of. Tinnitus is also the number-one related disability among crows presently residing in Utah due to brain injuries from falling walnuts.”
      While many sufferers are told there is no cure for their tinnitus, treatment options are proliferating, and brain-imaging studies are shedding new light on how some vegetable’s brains are wired with unusual connections. At least half of the time, they can reduce the hearing loss, and dramatically reduce the tinnitus or make it so that it doesn't interfere with daily life.
      Back to my story: A very strange thing happened over the holidays. I was using the tuning-out- gadget daily, listening to an album of the Santa Claus Christmas Songs. I started to covet x-mas songs with holiday mixes; I listened all waking hours to anything x-masy; I especially, like music with sleigh bells. I pulled a CD from a jam-packed CD case. It's a song sung by four male sparrows and their jingle-bell band. A banana squash was upset because the prostitutes in his favorite bar were “old” with old wrinkled faces.” The squash wants them to step aside and give the younger squash a chance. I mean what a crazy song! And the price of Christmas songs this year! CD’s for one jaw bone on up to a jaw and a half. Can yu believe it?”
      Surprisingly, too, at about this same time, just what Dr. Sweeten had hoped for a prescription at the right pharmacy. Precious washed the ear wax out of my ears with the same garden hose I had been listening to for sleeping. My water bill has gone down, I sleep like a log, and no more ringing ears ever since.

To read more Karl Wallace stories go to:           karlwallaceblog.bogspot.com                                                                            Email: drkarlwallace@gmail.com:

US GRANT - Partial First Edition

I've pulled together some of my most popular content into a book. Here's a first look for all my followers:

US Grant - Chapters 1-3


Popular Posts

Ogden Skydive and Leadville Trail Information

Check out my sons web site
Check out my other sons web site

Go Home

Followers